Your big day is just around the corner, you’ve certainly invested a lot of time, money and energy in making sure the event goes off without a hitch and that all your guests will be comfortable especially at outdoor venues.
Here are a few suggested precautions you can take to ensure that those pesky bugs don’t crash your party; flying around your guests’ heads, buzzing in their ears, and crawling around in their plates. But first, it’s important to understand what attracts these creatures.
Bees and Wasps
Wasps and bees are attracted to color and sweet smells; that includes flowers, perfumes, lotions, food, and often, your trash. Once they discover food, they will continue to hunt in the same location even after the food has been removed. Bees serve an important environmental purpose, so instead of killing them, take measures to redirect these uninvited guests to their own party!
- Select your location carefully, if you see a hive/nest nearby, or notice them flying to and from a particular area, choose another location.
- Bees and wasps like tall grass and unused objects such as old tires, playground equipment and old bird houses for nesting and hives.
- Relocate any trash cans and make certain they will be covered for the day before and during the festivities. Ask the caterer or party planner to make sure trash is removed from the site.
- Don’t set up the party too close to fragrant flowers and bushes. Instead opt for floral centerpieces such as marigolds as they are a natural repellent.
- Mint leaves or cloves strategically placed on tables and/or added to food and drinks mask the sweet smell of BBQ, drinks and other food. If possible, keep food covered until you are ready to indulge.
- Set up a diversion or trap to attract the bees and wasps. Try one of these:
- Take a banana peel, cut into thin strips then insert strips into an empty 2-liter soda bottle. Combine a cup of sugar with a cup of vinegar; stir, then pour the mixture into the bottle. Fill the bottle with water to 2 inches below the neck. Tie a piece of string around the neck of the bottle and let hang from a nearby tree branch.
- Depending on the size of the space you may want to set up a few other them in various trees/bushes/fencing.
- Set out a bowl or cup with some flat soda, fruit juice, maple syrup, or sugar water a few yards away from the party area.
- Hang mothballs in cheesecloth or pantyhose from tree branches or fencing. The pungent odor will discourage bees and other insects.
- Unlike bees, mosquitos are attracted to people as they feed off the blood of humans and animals. Warm humid weather, especially after a recent rain and standing water is breeding ground for these annoying creatures.
- Electric fans and air conditioners are very effective in keeping the air circulating and mosquitos away from your guests.
- Electric bug zappers may kill mosquitos, but they are really great for eliminating pesky flies and other flying insects.
- Add citronella candles and/or torches, especially if a/c or fans are not available.
- Make sure there is no standing water located anywhere near your tent/event site. Mosquitos breed in water that is stagnant.
- If event or tent site is near a body of water, pool or water feature, make sure it has been cleaned recently and motors in fountains and pools are operable.
- Be mindful of where the outdoor toilets are located. If they are located close to the party area set up a fan/citronella torches and/or bug zappers near them.
- Report any septic issues or exposed water pipes to Parks & Rec Center, or property owner to be sure they rectify the situation.
Power is essential to any outdoor event venue. Light, heat, air-conditioning, fans, audio visual and sound equipment, cooking and catering, and bathrooms all require power sources. When there is no available power, Special Events Tent & Party Rentals brings power to the most remote location; we provide electrical power for events in PA, NJ, & NY.
Special Events Party Rental has the right equipment, tents and quality products, in addition to providing exceptional service and the skills needed to set up each event. Ask about our CAD drawing services when planning your next event. Call us today we can help solve the logistics of your event in the surrounding Lehigh Valley, PA, NJ and NY area.
25 West Messinger St.
1- 800-360-EVENT (3836)
Call us today!
Serving the Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton,
Lehigh Valley, Poconos, PA, NJ & NY Areas!